a fun {easy} project!

November 9th | decorating, DIY

make-a-sign-custom-jewelry

i found this piece of wood at a thrift store last week.

i think it was the side of a box.

but i loved it’s texture, and i knew i could create something fun with it.

make-a-sign-mommy-necklaces

i decided to make my own stencils and paint the word ‘love’ on it.

i love the idea of being able to use any font i choose!

make-a-sign-hand-stamped-jewelry

there are so many words, i that hold meaning for me

but ‘love’ seems to be one i go back to all the time.

make-a-sign4-custom-necklaces

i carefully cut away the black letters

and taped up the remaining paper to create a stencil.

so, dang simple!! just took a little time.

make-a-sign5-hand-stamped-necklaces

i painted toward the center of the letter

so that the paint wouldn’t bleed under the stencil.

i used aqua paint. love.

make-a-sign6-custom-jewelry

i removed the paper stencils right away.

yay! it worked!!

make-a-sign9

then i let the paint dry completely.

probably for an hour or two.

make-a-sign8-custom-jewelry

i sanded the letters just a bit to give it a worn finish.

i love it.

i think i might be cooking up some other project ideas using homemade stencils!!

* * *

any fun projects you’re working on??

1. Becky K says:

What a delightfully simple and beautiful project! I love words…and I don’t have a lot of time…so this type of project is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing another amazing piece of inspiration! No inspiring projects for me right now…although, I take that back….I did make super healthy banana oatmeal muffins for the first time today, yummy!…and tomorrow I have a meeting about what could be my first book project! So yes, projects, but of a differnt sort. Praise God on all accounts because he delights in them all!

2. Jennifer L. says:

I love it! I have had no time for creativity lately and usually I’m the first person to say, “You have to make the time!” but there has been no time to make. I’m feeling really stressed out and can’t wait to get back to a more manageable routine so I can pick up things that feed me.

3. michelle says:

love it and the aqua colour. also love the bird sitting on the books…do you sell those?!?
    Hope David is doing ok.
    M x

4. melissa says:

lisa you are just so darn creative. beauty just overflows from your insides onto your work. it’s lovely. all. simply. lovely.

5. Gina says:

Simple. Pretty. Nice way to keep thinking creatively.

6. stephie says:

That’s adorable! Love the aqua on the weathered wood!

I have a tip for you- when I print out my stencils I use the outline option so I don’t use so much ink.

7. beth says:

i love that love sign !
    and yes, projects galore !
    what is it about this time of year that makes us get all crafty and creative ?

8. Is so, so nice and easy, I might give a try myself! Thanks for sharing!

9. melissa says:

a holiday wreath soon…really pretty and easy, using wool felt!

“LOVE” it! I’m working on creating a paper sign very similar to the one you use at your table when you display your creations. Heading to AC Moore and Michael’s this weekend to also pick up some supplies to get ready for the holiday season!

11. Wendy says:

This look FABULOUS! I just made a monogrammed entryway rug ~ I too used my computer to get a font I liked ~ it’s on my blog right now ~ swing by and take a looksy if you get a chance :)

12. Tricia says:

sanding the letters…..what a nice touch!!

13. Tetcy says:

I was playing with letters too!

14. Jennifer says:

that’s beautiful! Love it!

15. Gussy says:

Lisa, you’re amazing. I love this project ;) it’s so sweet & simple. PS you’re a great photographer!

16. Ruth Yoder says:

this looks really cool!

17. kim says:

this is great! “love” it! har har ;)

18. Chrissie says:

Darling! The final sanding really makes it look perfect.

19. LuAna says:

Absolutely adorable…A project I can really get into…a simple too! Thank you!

20. Jl rubin says:

I am a new customer and love the beautiful necklace i purchased with my grandchildrens names engraved. However, i had to take a moment and say i am so happy that your son is feeling much better. The children mean everything. May god continue to bless him with good health.

21. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jill Krause and Ruthanne, lisaleonard. lisaleonard said: a fun, easy project with homemade stencils. http://tinyurl.com/26do63v [...]

22. tammy says:

so fun! it turned out so lovely.

23. Southern Gal says:

My mom has a board just like that in storage. What a fun way to perk it up and put it to good use! I so want to try Nester’s coffee filter wreath.

24. sarita says:

your sign turned out great!!!! can you show us how you made the stencil?? right now i’m starting to make my christmas cards!! i’ll also be making Thanksgiving place cards for our thanksgiving dinner..
    can’t wait to see what else you come up with!
    take care

25. Wanda says:

I L O V E it!!
    That word is one of my favorites! No kiddin!

26. Philippa says:

Ooh Lisa, aqua paint! Love love love! I want to paint my studio (eventually) in a mid-shade of aqua, so pretty! I’m always working on one project or another but I especially like creating heirloom decorative magnets that can be used on a refrigerator or filing cabinet or any other magnet-attracting surface. AT the moment I am working on a small tag mini-book which is something I have never done. I’m not very confident when it comes to doing journalling – my handwriting is icky and I’m never quite sure what to say, but I am striving for that to CHANGE.. Smiles..

27. polly says:

l.o.v.e – what a great idea!

28. Kelly H-Y says:

You are so very creative … and LOVE the new snowflake ornament too, by the way!

29. Tracey says:

A little time and your amazing creative eye!

30. Cait says:

Love it!! The only project I have going on right now is writing my bachelor thesis. It’s a doozy: Caring for juvenile patients on adult wards with a focus on children aged 6-12. Scary fact: over 70% of all children admitted to hospitals in Denmark are treated on adult wards. The one consistent thing I’ve heard from when speaking to nurses on adult wards is that they fear for the safety of the children they treat due to the fact that there are any number of things around the rooms and on the ward that can potentially harm the children.

31. Kristi F says:

That is incredibly cool! I am doing shadow boxes filled with photos and memorabilia of people in our family.

32. bex says:

i love this idea! thanks for the inspiration Lisa!
    luv bex

33. Margaret Scott says:

I really like your ‘love’ wood – so effective, you have a creative eye! I’m busy busy busy making little Christmassy hearts from a lovely crinkly cream satin fabric and embroidering single words on them – like merry, peace, frosty – anything Christmassy and inspiring. Hope David’s had a good day and your Mom is ok. Hugs from England.

34. liz r. says:

So cute! Love the colors and the distressed look.

35. sarita says:

awwww “LOVE IT” no pun intended ….I would love to have the time to do something like that .. but, Most of my spare time is spent in the kitchen .. recently made a persimmon date nut bread , with persimmons from out tree , it was delicious ..and healthy to boot… Love your snowflakes … be blessed …

36. Marcia says:

This turned out so nice. I have a little piece of wood that I’ve been wanting to do something with. This is a great idea :-)
    Blessings,
    Marcia

37. Claudine says:

Oh, there are ALWAYS projects, and now seeing this post add another one to the basket! :)
    I “LOVE” it!

Best,
    Claudine

38. Celeste says:

I make a project with my kindergarten class using handmade stencils every year:
    I cut out 3 large triangles out of burlap for each student. I make homemade stencils with contact paper – with the letters JOY. I then have the kids each use the stencils to stencil on 1 letter to each triangle (with black paint). I then bring home their stenciled burlap triangles, and, I sew the 3 triangles (spelling JOY) together – using black pom-pom fringe to connect them. Tada! a JOY pennant banner! I have the kids wrap them up in sparkly tissues paper – and they each give it to their parents as a Christmas gift. Always a hit!

39. kristyn says:

love this idea!
    and I just read celeste’s idea…how awesome the creativity and sharing you inspired.

40. very nice. And we have a couple of dressers that are falling apart. I never thought about using them for stenciled messages.

P.S. Glad to hear that David is recovering so well.

41. I love this project. So glad to hear David is doing so well. My prayers are with your family.
    xx

42. kirstie says:

“love” that project, lisa! ;-)

43. Amy says:

Hi Lisa,
    I love this project and have been working on a similar one myself, but I cant seem to get the font right, among other things. I have some questions for you… could I email you?

44. Nina says:

Hi- at the top of my wish list is your brave love necklace. i have been longing for one ever since i found your blog several weeks ago. i love your work!