what i wore wednesday

January 26th | what i wore wednesday

this week i thought it would be fun to show one dress worn two ways. i found THIS dress at target last week. in my opinion, it’s more of a tunic, but it’s sweet and simple and great for layering. i usually wear a size 8 or 10 and i bought this dress in a large. oh, and it’s about $20. nice!

for the first outfit i paired the dress with black skinny jeans, a long gray sweater, lightweight pink scarf and suede gray flats ($6 yay!), all from target.

for the second outfit i wore the dress with cuffed jeans from banana republic, green sweater from target, and boots from anthropologie.

i love finding great, inexpensive layering pieces that work in multiple ways. would you wear this top? which way do you like better, the first or second?

1. Laura says:

How cute! I just love those boots!

2. Jennifer M. says:

Okay. Now I need to go to Target and get this shirt. I love how you paired it up 2 different ways!

3. julie hare says:

Love, love it! ;0) Yes, I would wear this top…I actually have it !! Don’t ya’ just love Target? I like both ways but prob will wear with blue jeans as I do not hav any skinny black ones!

4. Carol says:

Lisa, I love both looks, but because I spend my day up and down with babies, I love the first look…love the pink scarf too. Have a great day!!!! xo

5. Jessica says:

you look so cute either way, but i do love that green sweater and jeans. it looks so fun and casual.

6. Mariel says:

the second look! super cute!

7. DeeAnna says:

I love both looks, but since I’m addicted to cowboy boots outfit #2 wins!!

8. Michelle B says:

I love it both ways! Yes I would wear that top/dress! You are too cute!

9. kristyn says:

I love outfit #1. and envy all the great sweaters you find at T. Can you share the Target brand you like best?

10. HopefulLeigh says:

I’m a huge fan of layering. I love both looks but the second one seems to have more of a “pop” to it. Someday I would like to go shopping with you:)

11. Leanne says:

love that it has pockets…i NEED pockets…we are patiently waiting for the arrival of Target to Canada…so happy that it is coming!

12. ginger says:

I like it both but the second is my favorite!

13. Nicole says:

Cute, both ways look great!

14. Ginny says:

I want to dress like you when I grow up. :-)

15. Leigh says:

First is my fav. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how you tie your scarves!! I saw one way you did it not too long ago that you were kind enough to post here on your blog. Can you show how you did it above? Love your style and if I left the house more I’d totally wear the type of clothes you wear, but I stay home a lot with having 4 kids. Especially when one is 16 months old. So my daily clothes are sweats and shirts and sweatshirts. Blah….

I like both ways, and I would absolutely buy it!

17. Alli says:

Both ways of course :-) . It’s nice having those wardrobe pieces that you can get creative with…

18. Meghan Hall says:

so cute! I like the green in the second outfit! cute and inspiring.

19. pam says:

So cute!

I posted a picture of my lovely word necklace today on my blog. I just love it!

I would SO wear this top either way.

21. Sharrin says:

Your style is so effortlessly chic! We are getting Target in Canada – can’t wait!

22. RebeccaL says:

I would wear it the second way, mainly because I can’t stand to have stuff up around my neck. But you look beautiful either way you wear it!

I love all these What I Wore Wednesday posts! I am so bad at fashion and you have given me such great ideas. Now if I could only find the money and time to buy new clothes!

23. Aimee Madern says:

Yes, I love it both ways!!!
    I love target too!

24. Cute, versatile and affordable. What a deal.

Really love the little flats in the first photo too.

Enjoy your day.

25. i love both ways too!

can i just say thank you for being so beautiful and stylish in an 8/10, you inspire me to be comfortable in my 8/10 skin.

btw- at target this week i purchased a tunic, then a boyfriend cardi at forever 21. i paired them with jeans, boots and an l.l. necklace. i got many compliments!

26. Love it! I like the second option just bcs of the season, it look a bit warmer.
    You have such great style!

27. Kelly says:

I love Target, and you make the clothes look so adorable! Both outfits are super cute, but I think I would pick the 2nd. I love the ‘boot’ look right now!

28. Mrs Montoya says:

You are a master at layering. You always look so darling and I l ove that everything is REAL clothes. Cute tunic!

29. tara says:

I really like both outfits, but the second is my fave. I’m going to take a quick look at target for those shoes! I also need to buy new blackout curtains that I melted in the dryer!

30. Linda says:

I would definitely wear both outfits!

31. Lindsey Rowe says:

Is the green sweater a recent purchase? Love both your outfits. I am now addicted to WIWW and check it every week and take ideas from the outfits you put together.

THANKS!!!

32. It looks cute both ways! I’ve been looking for something like this dress to wear with tights! I guess I will go to Target this afternoon! Love the color of your scarf! Brightens up the whole outfit! ♥ I did WIWW today, too! ♥

33. I just wanted to let you know that I printed out your picture and brought it to my hairstylist and said, “I wanna have hair like Lisa’s!!”

34. katrina says:

LOVE this – and so happy to see it “in real life” – b/c I never would have wanted it after just seeing it on the web.

35. Kim says:

SO CUTE.

Wait, I think i say the same thing to you every week! Oh well, what you wear *is* so super cute :)

And it does look perfect both ways and really you could wear that dress two days in a row, they way you did, and no one would be the wiser!

36. cutie-pah-tootie!

looks nice both ways but i like the 2nd outfit best. ;)

cheers!
    ~h

37. Becky K. says:

Great piece! That’s what I’m in need of right now. One piece that can do double or even tripple wardrobe duty. I love both your outfits but may lean toward the first one as my fav. It looks sweet, comfy, and feminine. Great for the office and hopefully that date you were trying to schedule with your hubby!

38. Megan says:

Both look great. You have inspired me to get more into dresses! I got 2 (the same dress, one black and one designed) at Old Navy last week for $5 each. I also bought some belts…you are spurring me on!

39. Iowamom says:

Fantastic! I would totally wear that top and I simply can’t pick my favorite. It’s adorable and stylish both ways. I saw those shoes in Target yesterday but they didn’t have my boat-size 10. I would love to find that top! I’m going to check online. :)

40. Amy says:

Both are quite adorable but I like it with the jeans and green sweater !

41. First of all, thanks for the lead; heading to Target tomorrow & will look for this dress/shirt! I love how you’ve worn it both ways, equally. As a leggings & flats girl, the first appeals to me for comfort-sake. And the pink scarf with it is a nice boost of detail! As for the second way, my heart belongs to jeans & emerald green, so that won me over as well!

Can I just say you look adorable in all of your outfits & I look forward to seeing them week after week!

42. Kim T. says:

ooh. 2nd choice for sure. I love the contrast of the green and black and the added color of the blue and brown. :)

43. Philippa says:

Hi honey, yes I would wear this top and I love the second outfit, especially the green sweater (called a cardigan here in NZ!). I am normally scared to wear tunic tops because I am slim and worry it will make me look swamped, but after seeing how fabulous you look in layers, I may just have to try it! Smiles..

44. Claudine says:

Oh yes — love that dress! I like the look of #1, but can’t do skinny jeans, so I would wear #2, which looks so comfy!

45. kristen says:

Love, love, love! You should tell us the minute you buy something like that at Target, so we can all run out and buy one too! :)

46. I like the first, but the second with the jeans is ADORABLE!

47. Lea Culp says:

Always love seeing what you are wearing on Wednesdays and I must say, I like both equally, no joke. But, I think you would likely be adorable in a “flour sack.” :o ) Blessings to you!

48. stephanie says:

I just bought that black dress tunic at Target this weekend! I was looking all over for a cute cardi to wear with it…couldn’t find one.
    I love the jeans..I’m a tunic and jeans girl myself.
    Such cute looks…both of them!

49. Anne says:

Green is my favorite color…so I’m going with #2…but both look nice. Somehow I just don’t think it would look the same on me….I would need “elevator” shoes (I am dating myself with that expression…haha) I love Target…luckily it’s not too close to my house…because I can always find something there.

50. Michele says:

I love the first outfit, but the second is really cute, too. Hooray for great deals and Hooray for Target!

51. Kimberly C. says:

the leggings and flats are such a good look for you!

52. Anne says:

I have to say I don’t really like the second outfit (don’t know why, something about proportions?) but I LOVE the first one :)

53. laina says:

Oh I love both of them! they are each so cute and the fact that you got that dress at target is awesome because now i can go and get one for myself and be as cute as you…i hope!love the green sweater and boots and $6 flats a steal! thanks for sharing!!!

54. nicole says:

they are both so cute… i would wear the first one… green doesn’t look good on me :(

55. Alima says:

I love both outfits! I love to layer everything, but you are super good at it. I am taking notes :)
    And how do you find all these cute items at Target. I look through their clothes and I rarely find cute things. I am trying to find that tunic online now, but no luck yet. Love those gray flats too! And your hair always looks adorable! :)

56. You are always adorable! You definitely inspire me :)

57. wendy says:

Love them both! I think I need to go to Target :)

58. Okay Lisa, I think I need a new wardrobe perspective… I just do NOT know how to create these cute outfits like you do! I am stuck in a mom-clothing rut. Plain jeans, and long sleaved tees. I need help! You are so cute and it seems to effortless when you put this kind of outfit together.

59. Sarah-Anne says:

i do believe anything you could possibly come up with outfit-wise would look great! however, i am partial to the second way to wear the tunic.
    Sarah-Anne

60. Debbie Harbin says:

your hair Lisa, I love it. I have very naturally curly hair too. Have been looking for a new cut… I am in love with your cut. Mine is top of shoulders when dry but we all know how that goes cuz wet is much longer. Can you tell me a little how you manage your hair?

61. Melissa says:

Lisa, you have the best style. I love both looks! Must…shop…at Target…soon!